Lets Talk About Birthstone Jewelry
Among the most popular styles of jewelry today, are timeless birthstones. Not only can they add color and elegance to your outfit, they also gives meaning to your personality.
The use of birthstones in jewelry has existed since the ancient times. Civilizations use gems in their jewelry. Each of them have a corresponding meaning and significance to the wearer. To fully understand these beautiful pieces of gems, let’s look closer at these birthstones and how they are incorporated in jewelry.
Western traditions have mentioned the Breastplate of Aaron as the first indication that the stones in the breastplate were somehow connected with the twelve months of the year and the twelve zodiac signs.
Then in the eighth to ninth century, religious sects have appointed or assigned a particular stone to each Apostle based on a line from the book of Revelations. Because of this, it has become a tradition to wear one birthstone per month. But, recently, the use of birthstone have strayed far from this tradition.
In reality people often wear them for taste, fashion, and beauty.
There are twelve birthstones that correspond to each month of the year. Here they are;
January – Garnet
- This signifies true friendship and trust, making it a perfect gift for a friend.
- It came from a Latin word that means seed because it resembles a pomegranate seed
February – Amethyst
- This is a gem that ancient Greeks and Romans believed to be very useful in warding off the intoxicating powers of Bacchus, the god of wine and merrymaking
- It’s known to symbolize royalty and enables the wearer to be clear headed
March – Aquamarine
- People used to believe that this gem can help protect sailors and assure safe journey for them
- Its cool shade of blue makes it perfect to compliment your summer outfits
- It is also said to make the wearer feel calm
April – Diamond
- Diamonds are known to be the hardest mineral in the planet, opposite talc.
- This gem is quite popular these days as a wedding or anniversary gift.
- Make sure to choose the best kind. Consider the cut and the radiance
May – Emerald
- It’s a symbol of rebirth and good fortune
- It can also grant the wearer foresight and youth. A perfect for birthstone jewelry.
June – Pearl
- Ever since the ancient times, pearls have adorned the jewelry pieces of the royalty.
- Known to cultivated in living things instead of the mines, this gem is very special and it also requires no polishing
July – Ruby
- Known to guarantee health, wisdom, wealth and success in love
- A very durable gem, it’s one of the hardest stone in the world, only blow the diamond. This makes it perfect for everyday wear
August – Peridot
- Known to have healing properties and can grant the wearer magical properties
- Can grant the owner power and influence
September – Sapphire
- Can help protect your loved ones from envy and harm
- It is known to symbolize heaven and is associated with gifts from God
October – Opal
- Probably the most mesmerizing stone of all the birthstone jewelry options, it comes in different colors. From white to black with flashes of blue, yellow, green, orange and red.
November – Citrine
- Known as the healing quartz
- It’s known to support health and vitality
December – Turquoise
- One of the oldest known gemstones
- Has varying colors and transparency, from greenish blue to sky blue and from transparent to opaque.
Birthstones, aside from being beautiful, are filled with stories and traditions in them. So, if you want to make your next anniversary gift extra special, why not give them a jewelry piece with their birthstone. I’m sure they will appreciate it. Shop our new birthstone collection from Jaimie Nicole.